01 Mar SE Extends Spring Break Click for details
As a precaution and in joining the nationwide effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus, Southeastern has announced a few scheduling modifications, including extending spring break one week for students.
Interim President Dr. Bryon Clark outlined the plan in the following email that was distributed to the campus community on Friday:
March 13, 2020
As I mentioned in my email to you on Wednesday (March 11) concerning the coronavirus (COVID-19), things can change quickly. Updated information and frequently asked questions will be available at SE Coronavirus Updates. There are still very few confirmed cases in Oklahoma, but as we begin spring break next week, we want to continue to do everything possible to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Please remember that you can take the personal actions recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention to protect yourself and help slow the spread of the coronavirus (CDC-Steps to Protect Yourself).
After discussions with other Oklahoma colleges and universities, including our five sister institutions in the Regional University System of Oklahoma, and local health officials, Southeastern is taking the following steps as precautionary measures as applicable on its main campus in Durant, the McCurtain County Campus, and all other locations of program delivery. You should contact the appropriate Vice President, or other Executive Officer, immediately if you have questions.
- March 16-20
- Spring Break—University closed as scheduled
- March 23
- Healthy faculty, staff, and administrators report to campus and university operations will resume. Student employees have the option of reporting to work, but are not required to do so (please contact your immediate supervisor regarding your plans).
- Online courses will continue as previously scheduled.
- Even though the campus will be open, we are prohibiting large gatherings and cancelling internal and external campus events until further notice.
- March 23-27
- Students will have an extended break and not return to campus unless absolutely necessary.
- Housing, meals, and other routine services will be available for those students that are not able to leave campus.
- As stated above, students enrolled in previously scheduled online courses are expected to complete course requirements during this time.
- Faculty and staff will use this week to transition face-to-face (f-2-f) and hybrid (courses with both online and f-2-f components) courses to an online delivery format (no assignments for these courses will be due during this time).
- March 30
- Online instruction for previously scheduled f-2-f and hybrid courses will commence and continue until at least April 10. The mode of delivery for these courses will be reassessed and a decision will be made on April 3 regarding mode of delivery for the remainder of the semester.
- March 12
- The NCAA canceled the men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This obviously affected our men’s and women’s basketball teams, which had qualified for the NCAA Tournament.
- The Great American Conference Council of Presidents announced an indefinite suspension of the conference’s sports activities – practices and competitions – for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year, effective immediately.
Southeastern strongly discourages University-related travel for business, academic, and other purposes, but realizes some travel is essential to continued operation. Such travel will require approval by the Vice President, or other Executive Officer, of the unit and the President.
- All University-sponsored international travel is suspended until further notice.
- All non-essential University-sponsored domestic air travel is suspended until further notice.
- All travel for University-related business or academic purposes is suspended until further notice, unless such travel is deemed critical to the University. Prior approval is required from the appropriate Vice President, or other Executive Officer, of the unit and the President.
- International travel for personal reasons is highly discouraged.
- All new registrations for events such as conferences/workshops will be suspended until further notice.